Sunday, April 7, 2024

Flessner Or Oksol? April 7, 2024

Jan asked the siblings if they felt more "Flessner" or more "Oksol."

Here's my "on-the-fly" response. 

I'm a strong mixture of the two; mostly depending where I am  / what I'm doing. 

If I'm in the Bat Cave -- I'm a Flessner -- straightening up things, sorting memorabilia. Enjoying the peace and quiet; love to be alone. I am an island. Released in 1965 - 1966 -- I was transitioning from middle school to high school and had no clue what this song was all about. I do now. It's Ekke. It's Ruth.

When I'm traveling, when I was hitchhiking, when I was exploring I was a Viking, a Norwegian, an Oksol. This came out in 1969, the year I graduated from high school and began hitchhiking!

And even, more specifically, I'm a Carl. I'm a Connor.

But at the end of the day, I'm US military through-and-through. This is who I thought I was when I was having my best day ever, flying out of Bitburg AFB, Germany in 1984.

But on my worse days, this was also me:

By the way, while assigned to Grand Forks AFB, ND, I made a movie of our local MASH unit and used the movie as the soundtrack. Best movie I ever made. It was on Super 8 and no longer available. But it was good. No nominations for an Oscar. But I could have been a contender. LOL.

So, am I an Oksol, or am I Flessner? It depends where I am, what I'm doing. And both Ekke and Carl were in the military, one US Army, one US Navy (US Coast Guard). 

And, today, in the Bat Cave, I'm this:

No comments:

Post a Comment